RoseBum Banner

Thoughts on the state of Unreal Tournament (4)

2018-05-24, 07:07 AM
Just downloaded and played the new Unreal Tournament. They weren't lying when they said it's not finished. :(

Hubs are cool but it's confusing when mixed with the old concept of servers. I think a Rosebum Hub would be cool to have eventually if we ever get there and it makes sense.

Maps are pretty not-finished. One thing I expected better of is sounds. Step sound for instance is just a placeholder still (at least I hope it is assuming I'm hearing it right).

Gameplay is pretty much UT99 with really bad power sliding and alright wall gliding. Shock Rifle feels kinda delayed but I can't tell if it's because I haven't played UT99 in a long time or because I've been playing UT2004.

It seems UnrealScript was removed. Seems mods are now done via C++. How does mod distribution work now? I've found zero information on it.

It also seems the game's development is frozen at the moment (no development for 11 months).

It doesn't really run well on my laptop so probably won't play it much more until I've got a better computer to work with. I'm not really sure what to think of it otherwise other than "not complete".
2018-05-24, 07:13 AM
Herm, I take back what I said about maps. There's quite a few default ones that look close to complete that I somehow missed.
2018-05-24, 11:27 AM
Now you know my frustration.

The UT developers all work on Fortnite now and will indefinitely. There's no recent information on their intentions so we are left to speculate. They've even made it harder to find the UT forums for unknown reasons so the only posts you'll find there are from sycophants that think UT4 is superior to all previous titles or disgruntled fans who rightly criticize Epic's shitty PR.

Modding can only be performed through Blueprints now which greatly reduces what you can achieve. There might be some C++ tricks you could do to pak and publish a real mod but Epic is not supporting the ability to redirect such mods which would require players to manually go to the site and download the latest version before joining the server.

I think the biggest problem with the game right now is there really isn't any reason to play it. Even in Fortnite you get free loot boxes every day you log in. I'm hoping the lessons learned from Fortnite will be applied to UT when (if) it gets going again.
2018-07-02, 08:32 AM
Impressions from sporadic games for the last 6ish months:

I think the gameplay feels more true to ut99 but generally lands somewhere between 04 and that.I haven't tried a lot of sliding but it seems like a really good way to just die since jump mechanics are somewhat limited. some weapon balancing is needed imo because the flak feels like its the new shock rifle and everything else is almost always objectively less good barring wide open spaces which don't seem to be featured prominently.

I think if epic can keep making really good community interaction decisions with fortnite then they'll be in a good spot to achieve more success with UT4. Honestly even just slapping together a competetive DM/TDM/CTF and invasion with UTRPG would be a reasonably serviceable game as it is. I think blitz is a nice thought to have had for UT3 like 10 years ago but it'll be crappy for today's audience.
2018-07-02, 12:15 PM
Just for the hell of it I decided to check out some hubs the other day and was pleasantly surprised to see there is a community building a Bunny Track game. You can download all the content from the HUB and play single player with what looks like over 100 maps. Most fun I've had in UT4 in a while.
2018-08-26, 03:44 AM
Are assets not available in UE like they were back in the UE packages with UT2k4? Who's to say we can't just... not *mod* UT4, but just remake Rosebum standalone.

Statistics

Total Posts: 323
Total Topics: 58
Total Members: 81
Our Newest Nember: Crazy

Birthdays

No birthdays today.

Users Online

No users online.