RoseBum Banner

Bringing Back UT2k4 INV RPG

2018-05-30, 02:49 AM
Hey Gang!

I am so proud to see you all hanging on after all these years.

Myself and an IRL buddy of mine (Doxkid) would spend days on days in the INV RPG server. Good times. Great times.

I found Trev's post of the redirect link for the server.

You bet your (rose)bum I immediately downloaded all of it.

So I called up Doxkid and the gears started turning. There's a VCTF server (Great work Trev!)...how about we bring back INV as well?

I've hosted several game servers in the past as well as some mapping for UT2k4. Thing is..the servers I hosted were based on the source engine, not unreal. If you understand the issue there, keep reading. If not, skip to the next paragraph. My experience with Unreal is rudimentary and I'm not too sure I can get it running perfectly on my own. To those still reading, those with experience with running a heavily modded ut2k4 server, I could use your help. If you could please post what you are willing to do, I'd be much obliged.

What made RB great was not the mods nor the maps, but the community. I will check back on this post in a week. If you are interested in playing again, if you can help, please let me know.

Great to see you all again,
~Dimitry
2018-05-30, 11:52 AM
The UT99 server is financed and managed by a member of the community so it isn't impossible someone could run the Invasion server for me too. VCTF doesn't justify its existence on traffic alone but I use it for experimenting new ideas for UT4. I didn't setup Invasion because I didn't think there would be any demand. Lately there have been more people asking so I'm starting to re-evaluate it.

I'd be willing to foot the bill for an Invasion server if there was genuine interest. I guess we'll use this topic as an indicator. As long as I'm running it I can look to improve some of the failings in it such as the scaling and bugs. I can also extend the VCTF leaderboard system and setup a leaderboard page on the site for Invasion.
2018-05-30, 01:33 PM
Great to hear Trev! I was going to take the bill for the server, but I suppose it's something we can discuss if there is any interest.

Im going to see if I can find the facebook group. I think there are enough interested souls, but they may not know of recent events.

There was another post of yours I read, Trev. You mentioned that the player levels are gone.

If I recall correctly, thats part of the RB1337RPG.ini file, right? Nothing doing on that?
2018-05-30, 01:54 PM
The levels are stored in the ini, yes. I don't have access to the old file. If milk still owns the server then it might still exist but I wouldn't count on retrieving that.
2019-01-01, 09:53 PM
I recently came back to ut2k4 and discovered the INV server is offline. As allot of people could agree with me, it was probably the best INV server out there.

What's it gonna take to get it back online?!?
2019-01-02, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by "Sketch"
I recently came back to ut2k4 and discovered the INV server is offline. As allot of people could agree with me, it was probably the best INV server out there.

What's it gonna take to get it back online?!?

If you're looking for nostalgia you can download the Invasion mod and install it locally. The download can be found here: https://www.rosebum.com/downloads/.
2019-07-15, 07:16 AM
I know it’s been a while but is there any update on this? Or RB in general really as it seems to have been quiet around here last few months. I lost my 2004 discs a few years back but bought the game on steam again yesterday. I’d be down to play some inv though I think it would probably need a few tweaks as I remember it being incredibly difficult by yourself! Or maybe I was just bad.
2019-07-15, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by "Thunder"
I know it’s been a while but is there any update on this? Or RB in general really as it seems to have been quiet around here last few months. I lost my 2004 discs a few years back but bought the game on steam again yesterday. I’d be down to play some inv though I think it would probably need a few tweaks as I remember it being incredibly difficult by yourself! Or maybe I was just bad.

If there was a dedicated group of players that wanted to play Invasion regularly then I would setup a server. I'm just not seeing that energy unfortunately.

RB's existence at this point is pretty much a memorial site. I don't want to commit any more time to UT4 until Epic gives an actual explanation of their intentions. They haven't technically cancelled it but I doubt they'll be working on it in house any time soon. Maybe they can just fund another dev studio to build it like they've done with Dauntless.

In the meantime I am casually building a standalone game that I think might catch the interest of some RB players. It's basically the Bunny Track mod stretched out to be a full game. Once I have an alpha build ready I'll announce it here and people can download it for free.
2019-07-15, 12:28 PM
I get that, based on the members list it seems a large portion of the community has actually came here but it’s just getting people to come back to the game itself.

At this point it doesn’t look like much is gonna happen with UT4 until fortnite starts to die off.

I’m not familiar with the bunny track mod, seems like it was a 99 thing, I never really got into that game. Though I’m willing to give it a try when it’s ready :)
2019-07-15, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by "Thunder"
I’m not familiar with the bunny track mod, seems like it was a 99 thing, I never really got into that game. Though I’m willing to give it a try when it’s ready :)

We had a few maps on the VCTF server like BT-Scorpion and BT-JihansExtravaganza. They're like little obstacle courses where you have to master movement and shooting mechanics to progress each room.
2019-09-18, 01:49 PM
I'd be interested in a return to the 2004 INV server. Willing to help where I can.

Statistics

Total Posts: 342
Total Topics: 61
Total Members: 85
Our Newest Nember: gizm0-

Birthdays

No birthdays today.

Users Online

No users online.